City Of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau | Teen Ink

City Of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

By Thaze BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Thaze BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii

“City Of Ember”
Over the summer I read “The City of Ember” by Jeanne Duprau. She lives in Menlo Park, California and loves to garden. She grows anything from apples to Zinnias. Jeanne has always loved to read and spends several hours at her computer thinking of sentences.

The City of Ember has four main characters, Lina Mayfleet, Doon Harrow, Mayor Cole and Mrs. Murdo. They all live in the very old underground City of Ember. There it is damp, dark and rocky. Food is kept in storage units and electricity is made in the pipe works. Lina and Doon both go to Ember school where kids attend until the age 12, when they start working. On “graduation day” students pick papers from a hat that randomly assigns them city jobs. Doon picks messenger and Lina gets pipeworks. Since Doon has ideas to help the city’s lights stay on, he wants to be in the pipe works where the generator is. He and Lina switch jobs. As a messenger Lina learns a lot about the city and the people who live there. Doon and Lina think they find something to save the city but are disappointed when they realize it’s not what they’re looking for. Will they ever save ”The City of Ember”.

I would say the genre of this book is a combination of mystery, adventure and fantasy. It is also a little bit of post-apocalyptic fiction. The City of Ember was a very interesting book to read; it kept me hooked from the beginning. What kept me hooked was the mystery of “The Instructions” and all the adventures Lina and Doon had trying to figure them out. The book is left open ended; this really makes you want to read the next book after it. I would recommend this book to my peers because it is very captivating and has many twists and turns that make you think.