The Mozart Season by Virginia Ewer Wolff This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

This book tells the story of an intriguing young girl, and her life as a musician. Allegra is a 12-year-old, extremely talented violinist. She's dedicated, fervent and remarkably mature for her age. One summer, she is given the news of being a finalist for the Ernest Bloch Competition, in which she has to play, along with the other finalists, a Mozart concerto, with the prize, to the one who played best, of performing it along with an orchestra. In the period of time she is allowed to have to prepare for the competition, Allegra faces several daunting situations, many of which allowed her to learn various facts of her character, about music and to unfold the truth behind her family history. Many times she has to deal with insecurities and lack of passion. She has to learn how to embrace the concerto, without overshadowing Mozart, but by becoming closer to him. She learns that music doesn't need to be made, because it already is, everywhere. It just needs to be allowed to unfold and be set free. Instruments don't have music inside, we are the ones who own the music and play various instruments to let out he music within us. As the story goes through, she gets to meet two rather fascinating characters, both with fairly compelling pasts. Deirdre taught her about love towards music, Mr. Trouble taught her about passion and dedication. As we get to go farther into the story, the connection between these two characters and Allegra becomes evident. One of the facts that stand out throughout the whole books is that, even tough Allegra is surrounded by people, she's still alone.

Although Virginia E. Wolff's writing style and capacity to surprise the readers with the outcome of the story are impressing, I think I would've enjoyed the book better if I could find any relation to myself within the pages of the book. I highly recommend this book to young readers who find any interest in classical music, or who plays any kind of instrument, preferably the violin. If you're going through a similar situation as Allegra, then this book is for you. But in all honesty, I didn't enjoy it as much as I have other books.