Heroes of Olympus: The House of Hades by Rick Riordan | Teen Ink

Heroes of Olympus: The House of Hades by Rick Riordan

In Rick Riordan’s Heroes of Olympus: House of Hades one major theme is that people together as a group for a common purpose is strong, and is a force to be reckoned with. Another theme could be that love can conquer anything. These themes very well apply to all of the groups getting together and protesting against Israeli violence toward Palestinians.
The plot in the book House of Hades is about the main group fighting against a huge threat to their home and family, which sort of symbolizes the protest. It symbolizes the protest because they are protesting for peace in their home country, “In Chicago, roughly 1,000 protesters took to the streets on July 5 to protest Israel's latest assault on the Palestinian people.” (Socialist Worker) This shows how big the cause was for 1,000 to come together, with that many people coming together for peace. “As they’re getting close to the Doors of Death on the mortal side, Frank… helps the rest of the group defend themselves against the hordes of monsters spilling out of the underworld.” (House of Hades) The example above is toward the end of the book, this tells about one of their biggest battles against the opposing side. Though it is extreme it relates strongly to the protest, because the group of demigods symbolizes the protesters, and the horde of monsters symbolizes the Israeli.
One theme in this novel is together as a group you are stronger than acting alone. “Around the U.S., antiwar activists, student organizations, people of conscience and Palestinian communities are organizing protests in solidarity with Palestinians facing Israel's brutal collective punishment.” (Socialist Worker) In this quote is exemplifies how huge of a difference they are making by gathering together as a strong unit, where as if it was just one protester nobody would listen. “Thousands of people took to the streets of New York City on Friday evening to protest Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip and demand an end to the violence that has already killed nearly 850 Palestinians.” (Haaretz) Again here in a different city, New York City, another large amount of people getting together for the same cause. In a protest like this they have a huge “army” of people, and the how this magnitude of protest can make a difference.
The theme that love can conquer anything was quite apparent in The House of Hades, when Percy and Annabeth’s love for each other was what got them through their major conflict, being in Tartarus. Now it could also be quite apparent in this current event, because all these people are protesting with love for their family and race. "We're trying to break the siege and end the killing in Palestine. We just want them to live like human beings” (Haaretz) here a Palestinian-American talking about the peace he wants for his race, with love in his heart for his people. “"We're protesting to free Gaza," Karzoun said, wearing a Palestinian flag like a shawl. “Even though I don't live in that country, the country lives in me."” (Haaretz) Another quote from here from someone protesting, it is very apparent that though she is not directly facing it, she is bonded in love with the country. And all of these protesters that are related and also quoted in these articles all believe their love for their country can overcome the opposing Israeli.
In Rick Riordan’s novel Heroes of Olympus: the House of Hades, these themes found about the group of demigods fighting for their homeland against Gaea, is right on track with this current event about groups protesting against Israeli violence toward Palestinians; and shows how concurrent many books’ themes apply to present day events.

I needed to write an essay that tied in the theme that fit with a current news event.