Godless by Pete Hautman | Teen Ink

Godless by Pete Hautman

December 12, 2008
By Anonymous

The realistic novel Godless by Pete Hautman is about a kid named Jason who decides to make a religion just for fun. He recruits some friends but gets in big trouble when the police and parents find out what they are doing. The kids are climbing a water tower and claiming it is their god. One of the kids, Shin, the main character’s best friend, thinks that the water tower really is god. Once the parents find out about what Jason is doing he gets in big trouble. He also finds out the consequences of starting a new religion, which he isn’t ready for.

In terms of style, I think this novel was written well even though the adjectives weren’t creatively used. But the reason for that was the fact that it was written in first person from the perspective of a fifteen year old kid. I liked the fact that it was written in first person since it expressed Jason’s emotions more vividly and clearly.

From my point of view, this was an excellent novel, and I would highly recommend it. I rate it a four point five. For some reason, this book just hit the spot, and I thought about what the author was saying. I liked how it was so different. I think that Godless doesn't weigh in on the existence or nature of a Supreme Being. It is not about which religion is the truest, or the best. It's about how teenagers in particular deal with the questions that arise when their faith has been shaken. This novel in my opinion relates to Incident on Hawks Hill for the morals that they both give. I would recommend this novel for seventh to ninth or tenth grade.