The Underground by Roxanne Bland | Teen Ink

The Underground by Roxanne Bland

July 13, 2014
By kkenb1501 SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota
kkenb1501 SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

For me, this book is very complicated. There were parts that I really enjoyed and others that made me want to altogether stop reading it. In my opinion, the entirety of this novel is one big hodgepodge of random characters and erotic imagery. Yes, there is quite a lot of sex in this book. Maybe a little too much. The way in which it was portrayed was strange, to say the least. The plot itself left many unanswered questions. It would begin to lead somewhere and then cut off. It would elude to some big detail vital to the story but then nothing more would come of it. Now I don't know if this book is intended to be a series. The way it ended suggests there is only one novel, however, having more books would make this one all the more better. This story was really disappointing as it could have been so much more. The basis of the plot was very enticing and original. The idea of all these different supernatural entities living alongside humans was invigorating. This novel fell short of those extravagant expectations, as mentioned previously. Before I go, I have one more criticism, the chapters. The chapters were told with different characters as the center focus ,however, there was absolutely no rhyme nor reason to it. I do have one good thing to say about this novel though. It was quite simple to read.