Carrie by Stephen King | Teen Ink

Carrie by Stephen King

By kkenb1501 SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota
kkenb1501 SILVER, Minneapolis, Minnesota

If I were rating this book solely on the quality of the writing within, it would be a distinct 5 stars. Since I'm rating it also based on plot, I'm only giving it 4 stars. It's not that I didn't have anything against certain aspects, it's just that horror isn't my favorite genre. That being said, I don't have anything bad to say about this book. The style it's written in exalts this novel to a whole new level. The way King writes it as though he's taking excerpts from various books surrounding an investigation over the events of the novel is intriguing. It makes it seem more realistic as one sees the aftermath of the destruction. Towards the end of the novel, the dialogue King puts in his characters' mouths invoke a feeling of intense emotion. I began to tear up when (SPOILER ALERT) Carrie White was dying. It was just so tragic. In fact, I would go so far as to classify this story as a tragedy rather than horror. The reader feels nothing but pity for Miss White. This novel is unique in that it's not perfectly clear who the main protagonists/antagonists are. One would assume that Carrie White is the evil half of the story but that's not entirely certain. The entire plot shows how various characters in the novel antagonize Carrie. The destruction at the end is merely her lashing out at her so-called bullies. I don't know who to root for. I also think of Carrie White's demolition as the physical representation of what goes on in many oppressed children's minds. The only difference in real life is that not many people have telekinesis. That's another aspect of the story I like. King looks at telekinesis in a whole new light. He refers to it as merely a gene. This also makes it seem more realistic and plausible. Overall, this book was phenomenal. It has the rare ability to leave me pondering.