The Fault in Our Stars by John Green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

By Jon Links BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Jon Links BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

John Green’s latest book, The Fault In Our Stars, will be considered a classic for generations to come. The gut-wrenching novel was named the top fiction novel of 2012 by Time Magazine and made USA Today’s list of the top 10 books of 2012. The piece was also raved about, being called, “blend of melancholy, sweet, philosophical and funny” by the New York Times. Markus Zusak, bestselling author of The Book Thief, said it was, “John Green at his best”. Not only was the book a hit with critics and bestselling authors, the public adored the novel as well selling over a million copies.
The witty and realistic teenage protagonist, Hazel, was diagnosed with stage 3 lung cancer at age 13. At that time the doctors told her she only had six months to live. The story is set in Indianapolis, Indiana where Hazel, now 16, stays home and watches T.V. with her parents. Because all Hazel wants to do is stay home, they think that she is depressed and take her to a local church for group sessions with other cancer patients in “The Literal Heart of Jesus”, which is the middle of the basement of the cross-shaped building. On one of her visits, a boy named Augustus comes to the meeting because his friend, Isaac. While in the meeting, Hazel catches the eye of Augustus Waters, who happened to be staring at her for a few minutes.

John Green does a fantastic job creating characters that accurately portray teenagers of their time, which is one of the reasons why he is so popular with young adults. His ability to create such characters allows the reader to “sink in” to the plot and feel as though the character is actually telling the story to them. One also might find that Green is very wise with his word choice, which allows for Green to set a sarcastic tone in the characters’ dialogues.

The film adaptation of the novel will be released on June 6th starring Shailene Woodley and Ansel Elgort will surely be a box office hit. The romantic comedy already has rating of 8.8/10 on IMDb.com and is critically acclaimed. The soundtrack for the movie is made up of many famous bands such as Ed Sheeran, Grouplove, Birdy, and Charli XCX. The movie itself took a long time to be approved by a producer, since nobody was willing to work on the movie.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green is one of the best books of our generation. The combination of the sharp and bitter comedic dialogue and the harsh reality of the plot make the novel an interesting and tear-jerking read for anyone.