The Summer of Letting Go by Gae Polisner | Teen Ink

The Summer of Letting Go by Gae Polisner

By RachelAllyce SILVER, Des Plaines, Illinois
RachelAllyce SILVER, Des Plaines, Illinois

"Reality is for people with no imagination." -Jan Tincher.

Getting ready for the summer and need a good book to read? Look no further than The Summer of Letting Go. This contemporary read is about a girl named Francesca (Frankie/Beans) Schnell who goes through a tough summer of heartache, romance, and the possibility of moving forward. After “letting” her brother Simon drown in the ocean four years ago, Francesca’s lingering guilt still inhibits her from swimming and prevents her mother from giving her the support she needs. She puts all the blame for her brother’s death upon herself as a result. This summer is different though when she finds a young companion that shares her nickname (Frankie) and suspiciously reminds Francesca of her lost brother.

I really found this read refreshing. My favorite part included everything that had to do with Francesca and Frankie’s relationship growing and her discovering more about herself. Her character grows from seeing things in a negative light to a positive one and the transition is smooth and believable. I also like Frankie in the way that he helps Francesca grow and learn that sometimes it’s okay to let go and take risks and not be afraid of things even when difficult events happen in life.

In many ways I wanted to know more about Francesca’s family and more about her mother’s persistent bad attitude towards her. I did like, on the other hand, that it was more about Francesca learning about herself and knowing that she can’t blame herself for the events that happened in the past.

I highly recommend this book because it that teaches the true meaning of what it means to be alive and how to appreciate the time and opportunities we all have.