Smiles to Go by Jerry Spinelli | Teen Ink

Smiles to Go by Jerry Spinelli

By Jen Vasconcellos BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
Jen Vasconcellos BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Smiles to Go by Jerry Spinelli is a nice, quick read about one boy versus the world. This work of fiction will make you feel humored, sad, embarrassed, and many more right there along with the characters. In it you will learn about Will’s struggle to connect with those around him.

Will, our main character, faces all the problems a normal high schooler does… and then some. With a crush on his best friend and a relentlessly annoying little sister, he is also a proton fanatic and a chess extraordinaire. Throughout the book, the struggles he faces, some somewhat laughable, will make you feel for him and nod in empathy.

However, while reading this book, I was kind of put off by his obsession with his friend, Mi-Su. While it was kind of endearing- puppy love at its finest, here- his endless plotting to even hang out with her got tiring. She was rejecting him every time, and I didn’t understand why he didn’t just wake up and stop trying. There are other fish in the sea, Will.

Walking away, I’ve learned to be aware of those around me as well as myself, and maybe learn to quit… but also when to not quit. While those who are looking for a sophisticated, educational read may not enjoy this, those looking for a quick laugh-out-loud, maybe 12 years or older would like this book.