That Was Then, This Is Now by S.E. Hilton | Teen Ink

That Was Then, This Is Now by S.E. Hilton

By CatSword SILVER, Leavenworth, Kansas
CatSword SILVER, Leavenworth, Kansas

When one refers to S.E. Hilton, the first thing thought of is typically her hit novel "The Outsiders", studied in many middle and high schools and made into a successful movie. However, Hilton didn't leave the "Outsiders" universe to one book, as seen in "That Was Then, This Is Now."

The story revolves around two teenagers, Mark and Bryon, both sixteen years old. They've been living together since Mark's parents shot each other in a fight when he was younger. While Bryon is starting to mature into an adult and see the consequences of his actions, Mark, possibly due to his troubled upbringing, is still into fights, revenge, and gambling.

The book as a whole is a tale of friendships and how people change over time. Also, Ponyboy from the original "Outsiders" book makes an appearance, something fans of it will enjoy. The conclusion isn't perfect but it's the most realistic for the story, something you'll realize as you read.

Highly recommended.

While "That Was Then, This Is Now" was made into a film, it only made roughly one-third of the box office "The Outsiders" did, possibly because of the R rating alienating young teenagers from being able to see the film.