"Son" by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

"Son" by Lois Lowry

May 8, 2014
By Hortencia Reyes Lucero BRONZE, New York, New York
Hortencia Reyes Lucero BRONZE, New York, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“It all has to do with want. (Son)” Will you ever stop and quit on something you desperately “need”? Son speaks of the struggles a mother faced to retrieve her son from society and back into her arms. Lois Lowry wrote more than 30 young adult books and Son is just one of her many fantasy books. Lois Lowry was born on March 20, 1937 and her purpose for writing this book was to entertain the readers as well as getting her message through to them.


The theme of the book Son that the author conveyed is that persistence is the key to success. Another theme Lois Lowry conveyed is “a mother’s love for her son has no measure”. If you’re the type of person who loves reading fantasy books about never giving up no matter what the consequences are, you’ll enjoy this book. Some of the characters mentioned in the book are Claire, Trademaster and Matthew. Claire is the protagonist, Trademaster is the main antagonist and Matthew is one of the main characters. Claire is a 14 year-old teenage girl who used to be a birthmother. Trademaster is the main antagonist who also has tremendous powers and gives people what they want in exchange of something the individual may value.


Lowry is one of my favorite authors because of her unique writing style and the way she approaches the theme. Rather than building up the theme until the end, she conveys the theme in the exposition, climax and in the dilemma. Lowry also includes the idea of longing as a motif. An example of her use of figurative language is when she writes, “A silver of spring moon was low, just above the quiet-moving sea. ” Through her use of imagery, the reader can picture a place where there is a silver moon; below it there is a quiet-moving sea, silence is all you hear, and the story takes place in the spring season.


My favorite part of the book is the moment Claire met Trademaster is because I was shocked when she accepted his offer and traded her youth for knowledge of her son’s whereabouts. I was shocked because I would have done the opposite of what she did and probably would have searched for another way to find my son. I wouldn’t have given up my youth to someone whom is nowhere near being trustworthy since he harmed many people. Something I liked about the book was the author’s tone. Lois Lowry’s tone changes throughout the book. In the beginning the tone is serious and worryful. In the end the tone is joyful. I also like the story’s plot. Lowry managed to fool me into thinking there wouldn’t be a happy ending because of all the issues the protagonist faced to the point where she almost gave up. I would definitely recommend this book to the readers who love fantasy books about perseverant characters and to the readers of Messenger, Gathering Blue and The Giver. If there are any readers out there who’ve read all three books, I’d suggest you pick up this book next if you wish to know what happened to Kira, Jonas and Matthew.