Go Ask Alice by Anonymous | Teen Ink

Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

By helenaweaver BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
helenaweaver BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

The book I have chosen to review is Go Ask Alice .People often read stories about romance, comedy, drama, and disease. Rarely do we see a story about a girl who has written about her teenage drug addictions. A fifteen-year-old girl, named Alice, documents her life story of how much pain and addiction she has and discovers. As a reader, I find the book Go Ask Alice represents escape and reflection of real life. As a young-adult, Beatrice Sparks truly exemplifies what I am looking for as a reader and I recommend that not only young-adults should read this book but also any adult.

In Alice’s diary I am taken through the time period of about the beginning of September to late July. Throughout these several months, I am put into a different world because I have not experienced so much tragedy in my life like Alice has. This relates to escape because it was such a unfamiliar adventure to me and had multiple alluring scenes. For example, I escaped on a journey with her when she starts to obsess over weight gain and fears a boy named Roger will reject her because of the way her body is. Once her mother begins to notice her strange eating habits she forces her to eat but then Alice decides to make herself vomit after every meal. Alice’s addiction easily takes me to a dark place because of what she decides to do to her body. Though I find this book is still a reflection of reality in our everyday society.

Everyone has some sort of addiction whether it is exercise, drugs, coffee, or even shoes. Once Alice makes her big move to a new state it takes her a long time to adjust and find friends, which is a normal teenage issue. Soon she becomes friends with a girl named Beth and they become the best of friends. They attended their first party together and Alice takes LSD, which had been laced in bottles of soda. Alice was addicted to not only bulimia, but now also LSD. She continues to discover new drugs after her experiences with LSD because it gave her such a great high. I find this reflects real life in a perfect way because addiction is an extremely real issue in society. Everyone should be exposed to the issues of drug abuse we have in our society and I believe this diary displays it very well.

The diary Go Ask Alice is an amazing book and I honestly think everyone should read it. Alice is such a interesting, young woman and experiences so many types of issues that much of society can relate too. Beatrice Sparks does an excelling job on representing reflection of real life and creating an escape for anyone who will choose to read it. With Alice’s troubled teenage years and great plot line no one should pass up the opportunity to read the diary Go Ask Alice.