The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton | Teen Ink

The Lock Artist by Steve Hamilton

By AndrewDiner SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona
AndrewDiner SILVER, Phoenix, Arizona

The Boy Who Didn’t Cry Lock

The Lock Artist, written in 2009, by Steve Hamilton is the finest piece of literature that we as a society have in terms of being able to vision what goes on inside of the head of someone who does not talk. It starts out with Michael, a young adult who studies locks and learns how to pick them. He gets forced into picking locks for thief’s in order to protect the family of the one person to understand him, his girlfriend. The novel is telling his story in fragments, from his current story and his past, how he got into the current situation he is in.
I would imagine, in terms of socializing and not the relationships, this is how I would communicate with others. Through the in depth imagery that Steve gave, I could see how Michael saw. The book gave a modern view of crime and safety; nobody is safe from the best of the best. The scenarios were completely believable, not in a perfect world, it kept me on my toes and I started to think, how I can protect myself. This work of fiction could have been the first person view of someone who grew up not being able to talk and learned how to cope with it. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys learning about how people think. I didn’t like the book because I’m more of a fantasy type of guy, but I still appreciated the in depth read into Michaels head. I’m not nutty about mystery, which is the genre that Steve writes about.

My Love of Lock's, and my English project