The Contender | Teen Ink

The Contender

Looking for a great sports novel? Try The Contender by Robert Lypsyte. This book does not really catch your eye, but it sure catches your attention when you start reading it. Alfred is in trouble. He has dropped out of school; his friend is getting involved in drugs, and his grocery market job is not what he wants to do.

One day when Alfred is walking home from his job, he meets another dropout from his school, Henry. Henry tells Alfred that he has started working at boxing gym. Then when Alfred gets beat up in the streets he goes to the gym to try to change his life. He starts training with the dream of being “someone”. Finally, after at least a month of training he loses interest. He starts going to a drinking club and quits boxing. Will he be able to get inspired again and go back to his dream?

I was so interested in Alfred's story that I could not put this book down. This book has a great theme and is very inspirational. This book is still a page-turner even if you are not a sports fan. That is why I recommend this book.