We Beat the Street | Teen Ink

We Beat the Street

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

I've heard of many streets that involved many crimes, and the toughest streets of Newark, New Jersey is where the three kids in We Beat the Street grew up. The setting of this nonfiction story is just like the real world, it brings in normal crimes that would happen today. Some neighborhoods are very wealthy and rich, but some are also like the ones in the book. These streets include drug use and gang violence everyday, and the three kids had to grow up surviving these exact streets.

The book focuses on three friends: Sampson Davis, George Jenkins, and Rameck Hunt. These three students all met at the “University of High School” during this time they made a friendship pact to get through life itself. All three kids grew up as members of low income families so it was very hard to get the things they wanted. Every time one of these kids were to get in trouble I would think positive for them because I like these characters. Their story can help inspire others with a similar problem. All three are the same to me, they are all very kind but can also take charge when needed. There were many hardships they managed to slip by but others were so grateful. There were times that they wanted to give up but they didn't and successfully made it through to be doctors.

This is personally one of my favorite books, I don't read much but after reading this book it gives me motivation to accomplish things. There is not one part that will bore you while reading this selection. It's a great read!

Quinncey said...
on May. 22 2014 at 10:29 am
Good book about self confidence in incorrect but good and conic quinces

icecream94 said...
i think this is a good book about friendship and intergite

sg23600 said...
on Aug. 4 2013 at 9:48 am
This book is really nice...

Udontnome said...
We had to read this book for school. personally i didnt like it because the themes were obvious and it was not in the least challenging.  inspirational? barely. patronizing? certainly.  i dont need a book to tell me that goals are important. im never going to ever do stupid things like that that would need such condescending motivation to assist me from my dreary situation.

allimorgan said...
this book influenced me soo much and i am thinking about going to medical school! thanks to the three doctors!!!

ladykaee2012 said...
on Oct. 22 2012 at 8:11 am
The book "We Beat the Streets", is an awesome book! It shows all kids today that just because you live or grew up in tough streets, dosen't mean you have to live that way the rest of your lives you can move past the violence and drugs (etc.) in your neighborhood, and do something with your life. It is really a life learning book. (:

Rachel435 said...
Well this person is right but anyway basly he got into cause he love how the doctors did the x-rays & stuff

RayRayLover said...
I love this book it insprise me to never do drugs dont hang out with the wrong freinds and always stay posititve

MGeorgie said...
Sampson and his brother and some of his brother's freinds are trying to pick up some heavy concrete slabs and Sampson tries to help. He drops it on his foot and gets taken to the hospital. He's really interested in the X rays and stuff.

when he met george a rameck and they wanted to be doctors they said they were going to stick together no matter what and when he went to the meeting for one of the colleges

jazzy914 said...
how did sampson first become interested in beinq a doctor.?