Lucky by Alice Sebold | Teen Ink

Lucky by Alice Sebold

As a freshman in college, Alice Sebold was walking down the street from her campus one night when she was brutally beat and raped. Alice then goes back to home to live for a while and to recover from the rape. The next year, she goes back to Syracuse University knowing it will be awkward when people see her again. One evening in October she was walking and ran into her rapist. She then notifies the police and they start to capture her rapists and prove him guilty. Alice goes through identifications and court hearings and one day she will be face to face with Gregory Madison. Sebold's memoir Lucky details this difficult period in her life.

I can't say I know what it's like to live in Pennsylvania or what it's like in New York, but I think Alice Sebold provides a pretty good description. When she writes about walking down the streets, it makes me feel like I'm that person. Alice simply talks about her rape and her life that followed trying to prove Gregory Madison was guilty.

There were parts of the book that really fascinated me. The beginning is really interesting when she is describing the night of her rape. During the middle of the book when she is at home and people come to visit her was actually a slow read. It didn't draw me into it, and I didn't want to continue reading it but toward the end, when Alice is being interviewed by Gregory's attorney made me want to keep reading it. I recommend this book to people that have been raped before or are interested in true stories.