The Outsiders | Teen Ink

The Outsiders

December 7, 2008
By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Whenever an Outcast loses his parents, then his friends become like his family. Ponyboy (that is seriously his name) lost his parents and lives with his brothers Sodapop and Darrel. They may be rather poor, but they still own a house and a car, and Ponyboy still goes to school. They rely on their friends to survive, and they form a gang. They are greasers; they live on the west side of town, because it is their turf!
Some of them are criminals, like Dallas who started off as a gang member in New York City. Some are small and quiet like Johnny who is often referred to as the gangs pet. Others are respectable, like Darrel who dropped out of school to work when his parents died. Darrel is overworked and strict, Dallas occasionally goes to jail, and Johnny is scared to death, but their biggest problem is the gang of rich kids from the east side, they are known as the socials, or socs. Some are spoiled, some are even drunkards, and they like to gang up and jump greasers!

You can't put it down! This is a thriller and sometimes funny book! You never know when a blue mustang carrying four socs will pull out of the shadows. Outcasts, a losing battle, the only thing not to be loved are their use of alcohol and cigarettes. Do not attempt any stunts in this book! I recommend this book to anyone who likes street fights, and can put up with reference to drug abuse.