Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes | Teen Ink

Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes

How much of a difference can someone's appearance make? Ever since Jr. High Sarah Byrnes and Eric have been best friends. They bonded immediately because they had realized that they were facing the same challenges; having an ugly appearance. From day one they were the outcast of the school. That was until Eric joined the swim team.

Eric's problem with his appearance was that he was fat, but since he had joined the swim team he started to burn off his flab. Sarah Byrnes on the other hand had an accident when she was a little kid, and was left with brutal scars on her face and arm. When she realized that Eric is starting to loose weight, but she still has the scars on her face, she starts to worry that Eric will leave her for other friends. Because their relationship was just based on being the outcast, their connection was fading away. Things just go downhill from there and it comes to a point where Sarah Byrnes stops talking. Secrets from her past start to haunt her; the question still remains, how much of a difference can someone's appearance make?

This book, Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Chris Crutcher took me on a very emotional journey and I'm sure has and will do the same for any other reader. It may start off with a confusing beginning because there are many flashbacks, but I highly suggest Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes to anyone who likes to read books that give a life lesson