The Outsiders | Teen Ink

The Outsiders

Are you scared of your own shadow, or are your friends very close to you? If you are then The Outsiders is the perfect novel for you.

This novel takes place in the late 1960's around the Texas area. This novel shows that everyone, no matter what race, has their same goals and disappointments. The main character is Ponyboy Curtis, a 14 year old gang member of the Greasers. The members of the Greasers are Two-bit Mathews, Steve Randle, Darry Shayne Curtis, Sodapop Curtis, Dally Winston, Johnny Cade, and Ponyboy. This book is about the Greasers and the Socs (Sochas), who are two rival gangs.

One day Ponyboy goes out with his best friend Johnny and they get jumped by the Socs. The Socs start drowning Ponyboy in a fountain, until Johnny pulls out a switchblade and murders Bob Sheldon who is a Socha. Johnny gets seriously injured and his friends know that the Socs took it too far and they want revenge.

This novel was great; it had excitement, laughter, and sadness all in it. I would recommend the book to boys of all ages 10 and up. This novel got me hooked into it the second I picked it up and read the first chapter. This book will always be an all-time classic.