Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes | Teen Ink

Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes

Would you stay fat to save your friendship? That's what Eric Calhoune, the main character in Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes by Christopher Crutcher did.
In this book, Eric-Moby-Calhoune is a chubby high schooler with a big heart and a best friend that's scared for life. There's just one problem; his best friend is in the hospital. Sarah Byrnes has been his best friend since middle school, were they were both social outcasts. Sarah, whose face has been burned since she was three, feels their friendship fading due to that fact that Erich starts losing weight because of swimming. But when Sarah ends up in a hospital for suddenly becoming a mute, how far will Erich go to discover the truth behind her dark childhood?

Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes is a heart warming story. Their relationship is formed over being different, and is a strong one. Eric is a sweet character, and anyone would be lucky to be his friend. The story has a dull beginning, and all the flash backs make the already confusing plot harder to understand, but once you get past all that, it's a story that really hits home. It's amazing how far one boy will go to save his best friend. I think that they way this story is planned is amazing. The plot is filled with twists and turns, and the ending is one that I'll never forget. I'd definentaly recommend this book to people that like amusing stories, but you'll have to be a patient reader. It may take some time to get into this book. So would you do anything, including staying fat, to save you friendship?