Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story by Ben Carson and Cecil Murphey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Do you like real, life-­changing books? Then Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story is perfect for you. This inspiring autobiography tells the touching story of an underprivileged boy who grows up to be a successful surgeon.

Reading about what Carson went through will make you think about what you need to do to get where you want to be. You’ll meet all the great people who helped Carson get where he is today. Each chapter is a new adventure from his childhood, college years, and all the way to his adulthood.

He writes so vividly; it feels as if you are growing up with him. Since he’s a doctor, he ­uses a lot medical terms, and he uses old-fashioned words like “funky” and “capped.” Despite the vocabulary, this is a big book of life lessons.

I love this book because it ­reminds me of my own life, ­except for some obvious ­differences. It will inspire you just like it did me.

ObstreperousOne said...
Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:07 am
This is an excellent book. Ben Carson tells an inspiring rags-to-riches story. And the best part is that it's all true. I went to hear him speak at a medical conference once. Brilliant man.

Meka100 said...
May 6, 2012 at 6:47 am

I saw the moive and It was really good. I def will check out the book!

Good Reveiw

Pamplemousse said...
My parents originally bought this book for my brother after we watched the movie on tv, but i was the one who read it and I loved it! Its such an inspiring story, and because of it I realized that biographies and non fiction can actually be really interesting.

beautifulspiritThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 17, 2012 at 8:34 am
I have heard of Ben Carson---the first surgeon to successfully separate siamese twins. I think I would like to read this.

lrshap said...
I read this book last year (8th grade) and really liked it, it's a very good book.

Noel F. said...
My gifted and talented teacher said I should read it and I only got to the part where he almost kills his friend out of anger. Then for some reason I stopped reading it. lol

ShernayB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This really is a great book. I read it in 9th grade. I thought it was really awesome, because Ben Carson is from Detroit. Just like me. I could relate to many things he spoke about, with major differences. I didn't see the movie, but I'm sure it would be great.
Good review by the way.

T>A>B said...
This is a wonderful book......inspirational and gives hope.....Kudos! I loved it very much! it was mwaaaz! out of this world!

Micheline said...
Jul. 27, 2009 at 5:32 am
i saw the movie and its awesome!!..Good review btw

Gabrielle L. said...
I thought the book review was good and i would recomend people to read the book