Ender's Game | Teen Ink

Ender's Game

December 4, 2008
By Anonymous

Are you a fan of fiction, sci-fi, or even fantasy? If so, you'll love Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. Andrew Wiggin, or Ender, as he likes to be called, is the book's main character. Ender is a six-year-old genius who is living on a futuristic Earth. Ender goes on a journey to find himself, and ends up making and losing friends along the way.

Earth has just been through two attacks called the First and Second Invasion, led by alien-type creatures nicknamed “buggers.” The book follows Ender through his life as he is recruited into Battle School, a space institution that prepares young geniuses, like Ender, to become army commanders in case the buggers attack again. Other characters include Ender's two older siblings, Valentine and Peter. All three Wiggin children are exceptionally gifted. Peter is intelligent, but he is also ruthless, mean and often making death threats toward Valentine and Ender. He feels bitter towards Ender because he is considered the smartest child, and was chosen for Battle School over Peter. Valentine on the other hand, is sweet, caring, and she loves Ender more than anything in the world.

From its deep, complex characters to its thrilling, fast-paced plot, Ender's Game keeps you enthralled from the very first page to the last. You'll be amazed as Ender overcomes obstacle after obstacle, making his way to the top. Ender makes friends and enemies, battling sometimes with others, but mostly with himself. The main theme of this book is that sometimes you need to experience a lot in order to find your own identity.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 2 comments.


bookworm said...
on Dec. 12 2008 at 3:28 pm
I found the review of Ender's Game by Claire N. very well-written and interesting. It makes me want to read the book again. I think she really liked the book and that comes through. I really like what she said about identity and experience. Thanks!

maya102 said...
on Dec. 12 2008 at 1:38 am
Wow! i loved this one. You seemed to include just the right amount of information about the book. i also really liked the ending! great word choice