Americanah • by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie | Teen Ink

Americanah • by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie MAG

By Amaju Omatseye BRONZE, SCOTTSDALE, Arizona
Amaju Omatseye BRONZE, SCOTTSDALE, Arizona

When I read a book, I want to get a thrill, satisfaction, or knowledge. Americanah is the definition of an excellent book. As a dedicated fan of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, after a couple of pages of this book, I began to admire her even more. Adichie is attracting a new generation of readers to African literature. She recently won the National Book Critics Circle Award for this book, and some may recognize her work from the excerpt about feminism in the song “Flawless” by Beyoncé. I admire the feminist themes she incorporates into most of her books. She discusses realities that always feel true.

Americanah has relatable ideologies and is set around themes of culture, race, and gender. High school sweethearts Ifemelu and Obinize have to go separate ways in order to create a better future. The two face challenges surviving in different cultures, and Ifemelu begins to blog about her experiences as a new American. Her blog is filled with humor and realities that Adichie does an exceptional job incorporating throughout this book.

Ifemelu shares how she does not understand the need to pay an extra 15 or 20 percent of your bill to the waitress, or why “participation” is part of your final grade in the United States. She is also intrigued by the American obsession with carrying water bottles; these are examples of how a change in culture can affect one’s perspective. It is evident that this book is aimed at women of color and Africans, but it is a book that can broaden anyone’s cultural exposure.

Adichie reflects on real-life situations throughout the book, and with these reflections, the reader is capable of feeling and thinking like the characters. She mentions various day-to-day situations, such as the struggle of having nappy hair and adjusting to a new environment.

I found this book extremely relatable, since I am a Nigerian who immigrated to the United States for educational purposes, like the character Ifemelu. When I arrived, I had the same thoughts on how social inequality, culture, and race in the U.S. differs from Nigeria. After reading this book, I was provided with an understanding of coping with life when everything is suddenly different.

Americanah is a remarkable book filled with realities about our society today. It is a book that portrays the loss of cultural identity and self-acceptance when placed in a world different from our own. I recommend it to anyone who has had to adjust to a new society, as it advises the reader on dealing with new situations.