Sunrise over Fallujah by Walter Dean Myers This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

By , Scottsdale, AZ
Sunrise over Fallujah

Walter Dean Myers’ riveting and compelling work of Sunrise over Fallujah is portrayed through every adventure his main character Robin “Birdy” Perry experiences throughout his deployment in Iraq. His intricate depictions of the death and hardships surrounding Operation Iraqi Freedom create vivid images in the minds of his readers. From the harsh deserts of Kuwait, to the city of Baghdad where car bombings and gunfire in the streets are a daily occurrence, Myers is able to paint a portrait for the reader. His gruesome descriptions of dead bodies and homes riddled with bullets allow the reader to take a step into the boots of a young soldier in Iraq. Robin and his companions in the Civil Affairs Unit are no strangers to the death of friends, innocent civilians, and enemy soldiers as they try to remain sane in this harsh environment.
Myers also proves to the reader through Robin’s experiences that being a teenager in a war zone is a high stress and eye opening experience. His depiction of war shows the unpublicized side to 21st century warfare and provides an accurate comparison to today’s wartime environment. As any young soldier could describe, the constant fear of fighting an enemy that blends in with the civilian population and the fear of dying is present every step of deployment. Myers also creates and accurate reflection of the guerilla type warfare that the enemy uses, along with providing the reader with an accurate picture of the beauty of the country of Iraq. Guerilla warfare is a common tactic that Robin and the CA unit face on a day-to-day basis in their missions and work with the civilians of Iraq. The suspense and amount of intrigue that Myers creates throughout the book keeps the reader wanting to turn the pages and read deeper and deeper into Robin’s character, as well as creating a book that appeals to the masses.