Little Brother by Cory Doctorow | Teen Ink

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

May 1, 2014
By jonngu BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
jonngu BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow is a very captivating story that is unique, artistic, and entertaining. The book revolves around a 17 year old student named Marcus Yallow who is mistakenly assumed to be a terrorist after a bombing and wants to get back at the ones responsible. Doctorow’s fantastic usage of words gives you a crystal clear image of what is happening and makes you feel like you are there. There are several moments in the book that may leave you confused but, Doctorow does a very good job of educating the reader on the topics. The story is very consistent all the way through and none of the events feel unnatural or forced in.
If you are looking for a book that will help you escape into a world of fantasy, this isn’t a book for you. The world of Little Brother is a great interpretation of the “real world”. This book gives a realistic perspective on a teenager’s life, a horrific event, and outlook on our country. All the characters are believable as well, for example, Marcus is an average teenager that enjoys playing video games and hanging out with friends. Without going into too much detail, the story gives insight on how our government can be corrupt without our knowledge.
This story has deep truths that I picked up on while reading. Security is a thought and we are never truly safe from the world. It shows just how connected we all are and why we need others in our lives. Little Brother is a very incredible read that will not leave you disappointed. Cory Doctorow is an amazing author and I’m looking forward to reading the sequel.