Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

By Cassi.Miho BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Cassi.Miho BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

Divergent by Veronica Roth is a riveting tale that will have you on the edge of your seat wanting more. The protagonist is a sixteen year old girl named Beatrice Prior who lives in a dystopian society. The society consists of five factions each of which places a little too much value on a single virtue. When the children of each faction turn sixteen, they must choose to either stay in their current faction or to transfer to a different faction. The day before the children choose their faction, they take an aptitude test that shows which of the five factions is the best match for their individual traits. When Beatrice’s takes her test, it comes up inconclusive. She is told that she is Divergent and that being divergent can be extremely dangerous. This novel takes you on an adventure as Beatrice struggles to find out who she is while battling numerous obstacles and even finding a hint of romance.

Once I began reading this book, I could not put it down. I entered and became lost in Beatrice’s world. Divergent is exciting and fast moving without becoming overly complicated. Although this book was extremely fast paced, it was still easily understood, and the plot tied together in the end. I felt as though I was experiencing the entire journey along with Beatrice. This story was also extremely relatable because Beatrice who is a teenage girl trying to figure out exactly who she is while living in a world that is trying to tell her who she should be and how she should behave. The language used by the author was incredibly captivating. Divergent was an escape from reality and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Although this book may not be realistic, there is still something to be learned from the story and the characters. This book reveals truths about life, growing up, and the struggles all teenagers go through trying to discover themselves. The main character Beatrice has to overcome life-altering obstacles by discovering and using her bravery. Beatrice teaches us that bravery is more than being a hero in that saves the day. Bravery is part of everyday life and everyday decisions and actions. This book takes the reader on a journey and teaches unforgettable lessons. I would highly recommend Divergent to anyone seeking an exciting and suspenseful story that possesses all the elements of a great book.