Friday Night Lights, | Teen Ink

Friday Night Lights,

By michaelaz BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
michaelaz BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

If you are looking for a book that is strictly about football and nothing else, than do not pick this book up and open the front cover. I would recommend Friday Night Lights, by H.G. Bissinger, if that is what you are looking for. This book deals with the history of Belle Glade, Florida and the socioeconomic issues that people go through. On top of that they are producing some of the most premier football players in the country with dozens of players competing in the National Football League. Most of the players grew up in the slums of Belle Glade, although there are a few wealthy players on the team. Putting all that aside the players ban together to become an elite football team.

The thing I love about this book is the fact that it reflects reality and gives justice to the people there. I mean justice in a way that the people outside the world understand what the players and families have to go through. Everything is not a fairytale. People there struggle to live day by day. Some struggle with drug addiction, while others are struggling to survive with AID’s. Kelvin Benjamin, the star wide receiver, struggles with family issues and his own work ethic on and off the field. It really allows you to put yourself in their shoes and vividly show what they are going through. This book can really change the perspective a person has on the world.

“Just as the black muck seeps into your socks and under toenails,” this is one of my favorite quotes in the book because it is so descriptive in describing the dirt people live in. Bryan Mealer does a fantastic job throughout the entire book describing everything from living conditions to spectacular plays on the field. It made me feel as if I was living in the poor conditions and watching the players make their spectacular plays.
It makes for a great read! This book is entirely amazing within itself but at the same time when you finish and really think about what you have, it is truly humbling.