The Case for Faith by Lee Strobel | Teen Ink

The Case for Faith by Lee Strobel

By EvanWildenberg SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
EvanWildenberg SILVER, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Reasons to Believe

I am a Christian, but I have had a few doubts about Christianity. I now have many less doubts after reading The Case for Faith, by Lee Strobel. This is a wonderful book for reaffirming one’s faith, as well as bringing people to Christianity. Strobel finds some of people’s biggest doubts, which often lead to tough-to-ask questions. He then takes these questions to top theologians, who give great answers.

In this book, Strobel finds eight big doubts about Christianity, which he logically calls “The Big Eight”. These are very common doubts, including: “If there is a God, why is there suffering?”, ”If God created the universe, why are many compelled to believe evolution created life?”, “If God cares about the people he created, why does he send them to eternal torture in hell if they don’t believe in him?”, and many more troublesome doubts. I had a few of these when I began to read this book.

It is clear to see that some of these doubts pose some pretty tough questions. Strobel, the legal editor for the Chicago Tribune, is not afraid to ask these questions, nor of the answers he might receive. He asks them bluntly, but not in a challenging manner, as if he is trying to find a way for the answers to be wrong.

Strobel chose experts in theology to ask these questions to. He finds the most knowledgeable people for each question, and arranges an interview with them. He asks them the question he chose for them, and then debates the issue a little. He does a good job of covering the whole issue, dealing with all of its components. The theologians he talks to agree on overlapping issue, as well. These people help put some doubts at rest.

The give great answers that help with the understanding of the issue as well as answering it directly. The people he interviewed often showed a part of the issue that was not so clear. Some answers show how impossible it is for the objection to be valid. When the issue is far beyond our comprehension, as we cannot know God’s reasoning, they at least minimize the issue to the point where it is not troubling.

The answers Strobel found for these questions really help clear up some doubts. The questions he asks these theologians are questions that many people have, and they should read this book if they want to find the answers. The journey Lee Strobel took to reaffirm his faith has helped clear up many of my doubts. The Case for Faith is an enlightening book for Christians and skeptics alike.