Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants | Teen Ink

Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares was so good I sped right through the story. I laughed and I cried. This is the emotional story of four high school girls that haven’t really been separated since birth and this is their first summer apart.

Over the summer Lena goes to Greece to visit relatives, Bridget goes to soccer camp in Mexico, Carmen visits her father, and Tibby stays home and gets a job. Before summer they find a pair of pants that fits them all perfectly, they all look good in them. They believe the pants are magical and can make amazing things happen. Before they split up they have a little ritual at a gym where their mothers first met, and make up the rules of the pants. They continue rotating the pants each summer and follow the rules like is they are a bible. Each girl has their own unique experience wearing the pants and experience different forms of love with different people over the summer. They all learn more about different kinds of love between different people. By the end of the summer they are able to solve their problems and return to who they love most, each other.

This book relates to the book Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy, by Gary D. Schmidt. In the book Lizzie and Turner are best friends. The town’s people don't approve of their friendship but they still stick together, Turner even offers her a house when she doesn't have one. In the book Tibby, Carmen, Lena and Bridget have the same kind of friendship, they would even die for each other.

I really got into the story, it was so illustrative and many teen girls could relate to it. The story is continued in a second, third and fourth summer, which are an amazing continuation to the story. This is my favorite book ever, I couldn’t put it down. The magic of the pants and the bonds of their friendship entrance you into their world of magic.