A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

You might not realize how lucky you are to live in the United States, a land of freedom, until you read A Thousand Splendid Suns. This book excellently portrays a saga of Middle Eastern families. It’s like Khaled Hosseini is telling his own experience and remembering every moment, even though he isn’t.

Hosseini easily details the ­inhuman character­istics of Rasheed, Mariam’s and Laila’s husband. I liked this book because the ­author gives you background on the characters and makes you wonder about them. ­Toward the end it all begins to make total sense.

The book is so unpredict­able; you think you know what will happen next, but you never do. The characters don’t have the opportunity, like Americans, to live in peace and freedom, and every day Laila and Mariam face a world of tragedy and the fear of being beaten to death by the husband they once trusted.

I enjoyed this book very much and strongly recommend it to anyone who likes dramatic, well-thought-out stories with plot twists. Hosseini makes you appreciate being an American, especially for women, but the best part is really the way he writes – it is simply heart-­stopping.

totalbookworm96 said...
Jul. 24, 2009 at 1:17 am:
one of the reviews i dont get bored with. i started reading this book a couple years back and gave up, but now im willing to try again

tooodaloo said...
Jul. 23, 2009 at 4:57 pm:
that was a great review :] It was concise and yet very informative.
I guess I also thought it was helpful becacuse I', about to read that book for summer reading :p
good job!

emolover95 said...
I thought this was a really good book. I love your review you did a quick synopsis. I love it.

someguy said...
I liked your review. You gave a quick recap of the story. The review was well written.