The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne | Teen Ink

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

April 17, 2014
By ktm125 BRONZE, Mcdonough, Georgia
ktm125 BRONZE, Mcdonough, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
success is not final failure is not fatal its the courage to continue that counts


The Scarlet Letter is a novel of many different perceptions. During this time period, sins are never unnoticed. Some may believe the transgressions of Mistress Hester Prynne are merely human nature, while others believe that moral and biblical codes have been broken. Hester not only struggles with the constant ridicule by her townspeople, but also by her own self judgment. Hester’s attitude transforms drastically throughout certain portions of the novel. Mistress Prynne develops from someone who is audacious with no regrets to a more humble and remorseful character.

In the beginning of the novel, Hester Prynne, is serving a public sentence for committing the act of adultery with Master Dimsdale. The society in which the novel is taking place is of strict moral beliefs. Those who have sinned like Hester are usually put to death. Hester is forced to stand on a platform and wear an A on her chest which “had the effect of a spell, taking her out of her out of her ordinary relations with humanity” (Hawthorne 51). Although Hester has greatly sinned, she acts as if nothing is wrong as she “[steps] into the open air, as if by her own free will” (Hawthorne 50). She had emerged differently than expected, others believed that she would be “dimmed and obscured by a disastrous cloud” (Hawthorne 50). At the time she appears to be more brash than remorseful.

After Hester is released from Prison, there is a constant burden of shame following her. As she moves about her daily routines she faces a new form of humiliation. Hester disliked it “when strangers look curiously at the scarlet letter,” because they are reminded her of her horrible sin (Hawthorne 77). Hester’s daughter pearl is her pride and joy but “the scarlet letter endowed with life” (Hawthorne 93). This symbolizes Pearl as a living form of her sin. Hester begins to offer help to those in need, by sewing clothing and assisting them in other ways. Throughout time, Hester’s punishment begins to lose its effect and purpose. Her generosity and altruism altered the perception of the symbol from adulterer to “able… with a woman’s strength” (Hawthorne 141). Hester appears to be transforming into a humble and repentant character.

It was perceived that Hester was aware of her shame she caused and rethought her ways. Even her peers believed that the “scarlet letter” had done its duty. In chapter thirteen, it is made clear that “the scarlet letter had done its office” (Hawthorne 145). Hester regresses back to her sinful ways. She misleads pearl about the meaning of the scarlet letter. Hester simply tells pearl the letter “has no purport” (Hawthorne 156). She is also planning on running away with Master Dimsdale. Hester has planned to “leave it all behind thee” when she leaves with Dimsdale (Hawthorne 173). She has completely gone against the basic moral beliefs.

All throughout the novel, Hester is either giving the impression of guilt or confidence. The true punishment of the Scarlet Letter is never felt, and Hester was planning on repeating the adulterous acts once more. Any good deeds and repentance that Hester possessed, was quickly taken back by her wrong doings.


The author's comments:
A clear understanding of the novel.