Lord of the FLies by William Golding | Teen Ink

Lord of the FLies by William Golding

April 10, 2014
By crimson_714 BRONZE, North Babylon, New York
crimson_714 BRONZE, North Babylon, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Evil is something we are all born with inside of us. This has been recorded throughout history dating as far back as ancient China and the philosophy of Yin and Yang. Golding captures this innate trait of human nature with Jack and his slow descent into a truly savage human. He shows how when a man is pushed to his limits he can finally reveal this part of him to get what he wants at any cost. Also how evil can spread like a wildfire when there is no control or laws to keep the order. Goldings biblical reference to the boys inner demons with the Lord of The Flies shows how evil also represents a lack of God.

Good and Evil, one cannot exist without the other. The philosophy of Yin and Yang in Ancient China is used to show how opposite forces are interconnected. It is impossible to discuss one without another since they are part of a whole. Jack and Ralph represent the two sides Yin and Yang, Light and Dark. The choice made by the boys to make Ralph chief affected Jack
causing his more feral and animalistic side to start to show. Things could have been the opposite if Jack had been made Chief.

When the boys voted to make Ralph the chief, Jack felt as if he had to prove himself as a better leader. This led him to go on his long hunts for the pig and a source of meat rather than tending the fire with his hunters. After killing the pig his true savagery was shown "on top of the sow, stabbing downward with his knife..... Jack found the throat and the hot blood spouted over his hands" (Golding135). This was Jacks final dive into his innate evil and animal instinct. He, after this, became a dictator like figure in the sense that he felt if you weren’t with him then you were against him. After seeing Jack obtain meat many of the boys join his hunters right away.

The Littleuns that flocked to Jack after seeing him kill the pig believed he was a stronger leader than Ralph. These boys were like the flies swarming the Lord of the Flies. They are being drawn into evil by following Jacks orders. They feel they need a leader and that the one who does whatever is necessary is strongest. After a while savagery comes so natural to them that even when discussing the beast the boys chant "Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!" (Golding 152). This over awareness for the imaginary beast led them to killing Simon having believed him to be the beast.

Golding had a strong belief that evil meant a lack of God. The Lord of the Flies was a strong representation of the demons inside each of the boys hearts. Simon who was known as the most calm and well tempered that he was able to hear his conscience and the evil within at once "You knew, didn't you? I'm part of you? Close, close, close! I'm the reason why it's no go? Why things are what they are?" (Golding 143). This was the Lord of the Flies finally revealing that the beast never really was a solid being, but the innate evil in each of the boys hearts. Even the location of Jacks tribe headquarters, Castle Rock, was described as a place absent of law and order a type of hell on earth.

Golding showed mans true capacity for evil with this novel. Elements of Chinese philosophy are seen with the conflict between Ralph and Jack, who represent the light and dark sides of Yin and Yang. Even how when a man is pushed far enough he can snap and lose all civility. We see how anarchy can lead to chaos and amongst people and how law and order is needed.