Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach | Teen Ink

Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach

April 10, 2014
By Anonymous

An Out of The Box Novel
The short novel, Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, authored by Mary Roach, describes the advantages and disadvantages of being an astronaut. In her book, she discusses the disadvantages of space habitation associated with hygiene, human waste, oxygen levels, zero gravity, along with the harsh conditions of space's environment. In addition, Mary Roach gives the reader an insight into the everyday activities of an astronaut, such as how they shower, sleep, go to the bathroom, and other aspects of their daily routine, which people, on Earth, take for granted.

The following is a powerful quote found within the novel which has a significant impact on the reader: "Perhaps focusing on minor workplace dangers helps space agencies cope with the very major threats that they deal on every mission: explosions, crashes, fire, depressurization (pg.100).” Although these threats are terrifying and all too real, Roach engages the reader’s attention by her selective diction and by including elements of humor induced by the retelling of funny events from past explorations and tests. Most people may judge this book incorrectly by its cover; they might believe that it would be boring read. However, Roach’s novel allows the reader to be able to enjoy reading the many prerequisites of different space agencies, along with numbers of successes and failures over time.
Roach also sets her book's tone as serious due to the type of important content but also includes sarcasm and informal language, which lightens the mood of the diction and can amuse the reader. Moreover, by including sarcasm and informal language, Roach distracts the reader from the fact that they are reading a nonfiction book which is serving a role of teaching readers history. While reading this novel, many people may like the scientific information coupled with the author’s unique diction and writing style. However, some may not like the content and may become bored by the subject if they are not intrigued by space, astronaut training exercises or space travel.
Moreover, by personally reading this novel, my idea of how space exploration and preparatory testing occurred has been permanently altered. Before reading Roach’s book, I believed that traveling into the void of space could easily be done and that it was tons of fun. However, after she discusses the problems which astronauts in space have on a daily bases has changed my perspective. In addition, I have learned numerous amounts of information on the history of space travel and will always remember the dedication of astronauts.
In conclusion, Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void, is an excellent short novel for students trying to learn more about the topics of the demands of a career as an astronaut along with what this career entails. Also, Packing for Mars is a great read for adults who are looking to learn more information about space while being entertained and intrigued simultaneously.