Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

April 9, 2014
By Cindy Wang BRONZE, Cupertino, California
Cindy Wang BRONZE, Cupertino, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Book Review on Divergent
??The book -- Divergent, is written by Veronica Roth. This is a science fiction, and it has 496 pages in total in regular copies. This is Veronica Roth’s first published book. She published the book about over a year after she got graduated from Northwestern University. She has begun writing when she was still a college student, and now she has become a full-time writer. After the publication of her first book, she became the best selling author of The Divergent series. Besides the book Divergent, she has also written other books, such as Insurgent, and Allegiant. She was the winner for Best Young Adult Fantasy and Science Fiction, and Favorite Book of 2011 0f Goodreads.
??The book Divergent talks about a teenager girl whose name is Beatrice Prior. She was born in a Society that’s divided into five factions -- Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, Candor, and Erudite. In that society, people who reaches their age of sixteen get to re-choose their faction, which will be the faction they’ll have to stay in for the rest of their life. But before the big decision, they all have to take the aptitude test, it’s a test to see which faction you really belong to. As a result, Beatrice had found out she’s different from all her friends, and her parents. She struggled with the decision, and faced the dangers of being an outsider. Throughout the book, bravery, faithful, heartbreaking, adventure, and romance is all fully represented in this book.
??For me, I personally like stories that tell personal thinking, thoughts, and emotions. And that’s probably why that I love this book. The author shows a lot of inner thoughts of Beatrice’s and gives detailed information about what going on throughout the entire book.
??For instance, “ Peter stops reading, and a few people turns around, Some, like Christina, look at me in a pitying way, their eyebrows drawn in, their mouths turned down at the corners. But most give me little smirks and eye one another suggestively. Peter turns last, with a wide smile.” (page 243, line 14-18)
??The author specifically described Peter and other people’s face, which tell me that they don’t really like Beatrice. It also made me think that they might have been talking behind Beatrice’s back or planed something bad about her. Additionally, I think that the author’s writing strategies are really unique. Like in the quote that I have provided above, I can see that the author use a lot of common between sentences. I think that’s a really special way of using the commons.
??If anyone asks me who’s my favorite character is, I would definitely say -- Beatrice Prior. She has shown her courage and strength throughout the book, and always tries her best to accomplish something. Even though she sometimes backs down or fears something that made her seem fragile, but I still admire her.
??If I were to recommend this book, I will highly recommend this book to someone who likes adventure stories.