A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins | Teen Ink

A Walk Across America by Peter Jenkins

By davidmueller BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
davidmueller BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky

Review: A Walk Across America

“A Walk Across America,” a historical narrative written by Peter Jenkins in the 1970’s, tells the story of a long journey across the United States of America. Peter decided to walk from his home in New York all the way to New Orleans, Louisiana, accompanied by his best friend and loving dog, Cooper. Prior to his walk, Peter was disgusted at the greed and selfishness of many Americans around him. He was debating leaving his home country for a more peaceful society, but instead decided he would get to better know and understand his country by making this journey. Peter meets many people along the way that truly change the way he views his country’s citizens for the better. One of the people Peter meets on his journey is a mountaineer named Homer Davenport. Homer welcomes Peter with true and absolute compassion, even offering him the opportunity to stay and live on the mountain. Another example is a slightly disorderly, highly religious family, named the Olivers. The Olivers are not very wealthy, and are of African American descent. Peter works along many members of the Oliver family at a nearby lumber mill, in order to earn some extra money and also to see what their everyday life consists of. The Oliver family has a lasting effect on Peter, teaching him the value of hard work and hospitality. After meeting many more touching people, Peter finally reaches his destination in New Orleans, and makes the decision to stay in his newly beloved country. He says, “I started out searching for myself and my country and found both.” (Back cover)

This is a great story, due to the author’s ability to produce a well-written story, while being descriptive, yet to the point. The author does a wonderful job of keeping the reader entertained throughout the story. I recommend this book to all readers that can read at this level because I think most people can relate to the lessons learned in at least one way. This book was great and taught me a variety of lessons, but most importantly not to judge someone until I have a greater understanding of his or her character.

I had to write this piece for an English grade.