I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

Are you a fan of “The Colbert Report”? If you are, then this is the perfect book for you. If you aren’t a fan or have never seen it, I still highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys laughing and thinking. On the second page, Colbert sums it up: “This book is truth. My truth.” I urge everyone to at least give this book a chance because I am confident readers won’t be able to put it down.

Although I enjoy reading a book once in a blue moon, I can honestly say that I Am America (And So Can You!) is a spectacular read. Colbert states his ideas and opinions about many conundrums, issues, and cultural trends of America.

Before the first chapter begins, Colbert kindly asks the readers to follow a humorous set of rules for reading his book, such as never loaning it out and only using money or another copy of the book as bookmarks. He covers a wide variety of topics including family and the media. It is likely that readers won’t agree with all of his ideas, but the way he presents them is ­truly hilarious.

Colbert also keeps the book exciting with anecdotes in the margins and “Fun Zones” – games, puzzles, and quizzes relevant to the topic. The comedy rarely stops, but Colbert is very insightful and makes ­remarkable statements. Every time I found myself thinking that what Colbert wrote was absurd, he would give his reasons and I would find myself somewhat, if not completely, agreeing with him.

Did I mention that I am confident this is the epitome of comedy and probably the funniest book ever created? This book is anything but boring; in fact, I can’t think of anything negative to say about it.

I think of this book as a guide to being an American. Readers will laugh until they can’t breathe, learn more about society, and rethink many aspects of American life.

dsm9412 said...
I don't think HE believes all the things he says. It's a joke all around.

BradP27 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 18, 2009 at 2:10 am
My dad is mentioned in this book. I think it's just hilarious.

Sunshine said...
Would you say fans of the show would also like the book?I really enjoy the show and the book sounds great.