spud by John Van De Ruit | Teen Ink

spud by John Van De Ruit

Fourteen year old Spud Milton is just about done with his childhood and is about to begin his journey into manhood. But for Spud growing up will come with a few difficulties and surprises. Spud will also learn that growing can be fun. As he starts boarding school in South Africa Spud will have to make mew friends and make it through the school year.

John Van De Ruit portrays many themes throughout the book. One of the themes is growing up. The author places moments that all boys like Spud go through to become men. Also another theme in the book was love. In the book spud meets a girl named Maggy and they go out but eventually break up for some reasons. But Spud is determined to get her back in whatever way possible. Van De Ruit does a good job showing love as a theme by having Spud say “but Maggy you’re the only thing that matters to me, and I won’t go home knowing your disappointed in me”

Spud was a very book. Something unique about this book was that its style that it was written in was like a diary. The only book I know of that was written like a diary was the Diary of Anne Frank. As you read in the last two paragraphs John described emotions very well. This made the book very enjoyable just to picture in your head what was going on in the book. Whether if what happened in the book was funny or sad. This story was funny and enjoyable but there are some parts in the book that adults might not find funny and enjoyable, they might just find Spud to be a bit boring. So mostly young readers like teenagers would enjoy Spud. Over this entire book was funny and obviating.

i am a guy and i like sports.

swagmaster69 said...
tru datttttttttttttttttt

John58297 said...
The main character never fell in love with "Maggie", he fell in love with a girl named "Debbie" or "Mermaid". It seems to me you didn't read the book very well, if at all. Also, characters liem Robert Black (Rambo) make the book enjoyable for any age with his crazy antics and brave tasks.