Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

By Michael Gonzales BRONZE, Cincinnati OH, Ohio
Michael Gonzales BRONZE, Cincinnati OH, Ohio

Divergent is a book about a world that is split into five factions: Abnegation, Erudite, Candor, Amity, and Dauntless. Beatris Prior, or Tris her faction name, is a girl from Abnegation who doesn't know where she belongs until she finds out that she is divergent. Being divergent means that you can think differently than other people, your mind moves in many different ways. The government doesn’t like people who are divergent because they think in many different ways and that means that the government cannot control them and they take that as a threat. Tris chooses Dauntless, a wild and crazy faction where soldiers train, a lot different than her old faction Abnegation. Tris must overcome many challenges like keeping her secret that she is divergent and passing the test and completing her faction.

In Dauntless, there are scores that determine whether or not you are cut out for dauntless training. There are combat skill training and simulations. Simulations are tests to see if you can fight your worst fears and being divergent, Tris can manipulate the simulations. If your score is not high enough, you will be kicked out of the Dauntless and become factionless.

The characters face many challenges with the simulations and training. As the story advances more conflicts occur between the characters like jealousy, competition, and drama. The conflicts help the plot progress and develop as the story goes on. The book contains genres of action, adventure, and romance. If you like these types of books I highly recommend this to you. I definitely recommend this book and I think that anyone could read this and enjoy it as much as I did.

I think that this book was really well written and has great characters, plot, and setting. I think that people can relate to Tris and how she thinks and feels throughout the book. The author really captured the emotions of the characters in the book and that makes the story feel even more alive. If you like this book, then you’ll like the sequel as well.

Over all I think that this book is really good and I think it would be a good idea to read. Once you pick up the book you won’t stop reading and it will make reading more enjoyable.