The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken | Teen Ink

The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

By allaboutbooks BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
allaboutbooks BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

" A women who follows the crowd will go no farther than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever seen before. " ~ Albert Einstein

“I’m a monster, you know. I’m one of the dangerous ones.”

Do you wonder what it’s like to have a power you can’t control? A power strong enough to make the people who love you forget everything about you? That you even exist? That they love you? Ruby doesn’t have to wonder, she is an Orange. An Orange, a mind reader, a mind controller, all things minds. But her power is a little different, even for an Orange. She not only has the power to go into other people’s minds, she has the power to erase memories. She has used her power before: her mother and father. Young, the night before her 10 birthday. Ruby accidentally removed all traces of herself from her parent’s mind. Gone, just like that. In the blink of an eye, her mother isn’t her mother; her father isn’t her father. Now she is afraid it will happen again.

This time to Liam, the leader of her group. With his ash blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes she is falling for him. But she has to keep her distance. She can’t trust herself to touch him. One touch could erase everything he has of her. Liam leads a small ragtag group. Zu, a yellow. Though sweet, innocent, child-like and, beautiful, she is a Yellow; with a tenacious control over electricity. Chubs, a Blue, like Liam himself. He is telekinetic. With a snarky, cup is half- empty attitude, he is a must have character.

“So you get into people's heads? The two of us can throw people around like toys. Zu once blew up an AC unit, and all she did was walk by it.”

They are heading to the only safe haven for Psi kids like them, East River. A place rumored to be safe from everyone, with enough food and water. At East River, there is more to life than just surviving. At East River they can make a life worth living. But the odds are against them making it there. If they don’t die from starvation. If they don’t die from dehydration. If they aren’t captured by the skip tracers. If they aren’t captured by the League. If they aren’t taken back to camp by the PSF soldiers.

Maybe they will make it to the East River. If. Ruby needs to make it to East River; to their leader the Slip Kid, who is rumored to be an orange. If he is an orange, then he can help her control her powers. Before she hurts anyone. Before she hurts sweet little Zu, or Chubs, or before she hurts Liam. How long can she she stay in control of her powers? How long can she protect her broken, beautiful group from her dangerous power? Will they make it to the East River at all? But if they make it, will they be in one piece?