The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

April 4, 2014
By Anonymous

Always in a book, there will always be more detail than in the movie, but I think “ The Book Thief ” as a movie brought disgrace to the heartfelt book written by Markus Zusak. Although the cast and the setting were exceptional, in duration of two hours, the true plot and emotion of The Book Thief cannot be expressed. The parts that were left out, explains most of what will happen next, as well as what happened before. It is understandable that the movie cannot bear the abundance of details but that is what makes this movie unacceptable towards the amazing author.
What makes “ The Book Thief ” such an unacceptable movie is its lack of details that often makes the people that has already read the book, think to themselves, “ They missed the most important part. ” or “ Why didn’t they show her do that ? ” In the movie, like how Liesel had many nightmares, they didn’t show any of them, or like how she first met Rudy in a soccer game. These are very important parts and main points in the story plotline. There is a lot of change that is put into this movie that should have been kept the same.
What makes the movie different from the book is that, Liesel, the book thief, was really not so much the main focus. In the book, the story was stuck onto Liesel, everything done was leading or in relation to her, and she was never out of the conversation. In the movie, the main idea didn’t stay still on about the story of the book thief; it went from book thief’s problems to the Hubermann’s problems then onto Rudy’s problems and to Max Vandenburg. In the book, she performed the most action in the book, she displayed the most emotion, and also the most care. The movie was more about what happened at the time, not really about the book thief. What I really mean is that shouldn’t “ The Book Thief ” be about the book thief or even about books? The movie really didn’t show anything in comparison to that.
Anybody who has already read the book of “ The Book Thief ”, will most likely not enjoy or be satisfied by the movie. With all the points I have stated I would rate this movie no higher than a six on a scale from one through ten. The movie was actually pretty boring and unsuspecting because many parts of the movie didn’t go with the book. I believe this movie will not represent “ The Book Thief ” by Markus Zusak, and there will be another new movie or TV series to replace it.