Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick | Teen Ink

Freak the Mighty by Rodman Philbrick

April 3, 2014
By minagaston15205 BRONZE, Moundsville, West Virginia
minagaston15205 BRONZE, Moundsville, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Freak the Mighty was written by Rodman Philbrick and published in 1993. Freak the Mighty starts out with a boy of the name Maxwell Kane. Maxwell is a teenager that lives with his grandparents Grim (grandpa) and Gram (grandma). He has a very low self-esteem ,because people are frightened by his appearance of his father “Killer” Kane.
Maxwell’s father was convicted of murder and is in prison. Maxwell notices that he is getting new neighbors. He realizes that the boy that was moving in is Kevin (Freak).
Kevin was in daycare with Maxwell when he was younger. Everyone called Maxwell “Kicker” in daycare, because if anyone made him angry he would kick them. Kevin has Morquio syndrome he wears leg braces and uses crutches to walk. Kevin likes to think of himself as a “Robot”. In this story the two become close friends best of their appearance is what makes them close.
Maxwell’s Father gets out of prison and puts Maxwell, Freak and his family through rough roads. In the end Kevin goes to the hospital and Maxwell finds out Kevin died. Maxwell feels alone but, he’s doing good even if Freak is gone.
I would encourage you to read this amazing heart bounding book. This book was everything that I wanted and needed it to be. I hope you get the chance to read this book to see what the meaning of friendship with these two boys. It may fill your heart with sadness towards the end but it will also think you’ll be very happy too. So, please just read this book so you can have as much joy from as I did when I read it.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.