Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

By LillianWest BRONZE, Moundsville, West Virginia
LillianWest BRONZE, Moundsville, West Virginia

Divergent

In a future, post-war city, the world is no longer as it used to be. Different groups assign blame for the war, and in a preemptive strike for yet another, the city is divided into five “factions”, or groups, all having different responsibilities. “Erudite” bases their form of society around knowledge and intelligence, “abnegation” for putting others before themselves, “candor” for their value in honesty, “amity” for keeping peace, and finally “dauntless” focuses on bravery and the protection of others. In a world like this, something is bound to go wrong.

Sixteen year old, Beatrice Prior grew up knowing that she was just not right for the faction that she was born into, abnegation. Finally, she receives an answer to her longing to be out of the community that she has called her home for so many years. She is a divergent, one who fits in to all factions, never being able to choose just one.

Now Beatrice must pursue her dreams of being part of dauntless, against advisements. With the help of Four, a few friends, and even her own mother she might be able to make it through initiation. But above all, she must keep the secret of being divergent hidden from everyone. It could be worth her life.

I believe that divergent was an amazing book in general. Even though the idea of this new, futuristic society may seem far-fetched at times, the author makes it feel completely realistic. At certain points in the story, I felt like I was there with Beatrice. This novel had me hooked from the very beginning.

The book was descriptive in the most literal sense. I could always see the characters in every aspect. There is no doubt in my mind that I will read Divergent over and over again. I strongly advise it for everyone.