Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli | Teen Ink

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Stargirl
Stargirl is a new girl at school. She knows no one. Stargirl was different. She didn’t really care what anyone thought. She wore a long skirt every day, carried her ukulele around school, and carried her pet rat, Cinnamon on her shoulder. When it was someone’s birthday, she sang happy birthday to them. But the weird thing was no one ever told her when it was their birthday. She just found out. People are mean at times, but Stargirl gets through it all.
The second main character is Leo. Leo and his best friend, Kevin host a show called “The Hot seat. “ Since everyone always watched Stargirl they wanted her on the hot seat, to find out why she is how she is. Leo and Kevin find out very interesting things about Stargirl. Stargirl, even does some strange things on the hot seat. Now they just have to decide, whether to post it on TV or not.
Stargirl is a great book. Toward the middle, the main character Leo started catching some feelings for Stargirl. He was embarrassed about it. He didn’t know what to do. To tell her, to not tell her. He was scared people would judge. So in the book we also find out what Leo does. Stargirl was a mixture of romance and suspense.
If anyone were to ask me if they should read it, I would most definitely say yes. The ending is great. The beginning was suspenseful. No one knew what to expect, and those are the kind of books I like. They gave great detail on describing Stargirl, and how she just didn’t care what people thought, and to be real.

This book is one of my favorite ones. It expresses that you shouldnt be afraid to be you.