Looking For Alaska | Teen Ink

Looking For Alaska

Looking for Alaska
In the past few months, I’ve read John Green’s Looking for Alaska. It was the second book of his that I’ve ever read. The first being one of his other books. It was a well-written novel that will surely draw readers in. I couldn’t put it down after I started. I won’t give too much away, but here is a summary of what it’s about.

In Looking for Alaska, a boy named Miles Halter goes to a boarding school to seek a “Great Perhaps.” He ends up finding more than he bargained for. A girl named Alaska Young who is everything a guy could ever want. Intrigued by her unpredictable and confident nature, he couldn’t help but to fall in love with her. She’s like a mystery that he wants to uncover.

Alaska Young may seem self-independent, but once you look through that, you’ll see that she has problems of her own. She battles with alcohol and cigarettes every day. Even though she is always there for her friends, Alaska tends to keep her problems a secret. I found myself in her with some of the things she does too. There’s more to her than this as well, but I’m not going to give too much of her character away.

I would suggest Looking for Alaska for mature readers only. It is a wonderful book and I can assure you that you will love it. It’s not just a love story, but a breathe taking one as well. It leaves you heart-broken over the devastating news that the ending brings. One of my favorite things would be all the quotes and relatable lines from the characters in the book.

All in all, I advise that all mature readers read Looking for Alaska when they get the chance. It’s an incredible book that will leave you wanting more. I absolutely loved it and can’t wait to read it again. You may see yourself in the characters, as I did. John Green is an amazing author, and really puts his all into everything he writes.