Tidal by Amanda Hocking | Teen Ink

Tidal by Amanda Hocking

By TeaganV BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
TeaganV BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

TIDAL

Have you ever seen a mermaid? What about a siren? They are crazy looking creatures, at least that’s how Amanda Hocking describes them.

Tidal is a mythical, love-crazy novel that is definitely worth reading! Tidal, by Amanda Hocking, being the second book in the series, is a fictional story about a girl named, Gemma. She has to take on the struggles and pains of being a siren and a normal teenage life at the same time. If you don’t already know what a siren is, it is a beautiful woman that can turn into a mermaid, when in salt water, and a scary bird creature that craves human blood. This book really accentuates the hardships of being a teen and having to deal with other problems as well, at the same time. I love this book and think that anyone with a sense of adventure would be very intrigued by the passion and aggression of this book.

Gemma has had this curse of being a siren for awhile now and she’s sick of it. With all of her heart she’s trying to find any way she can to get rid of this horrible thing. The wretched girls that tricked her into becoming this creature were Penn, Thea, and Lexi. Penn, being the leader of the “posse”, is the most vicious of them all; Thea is caring and has a soft-spot for Gemma; and Lexi, well, she’s rude, catty, and sometimes just a jerk. While the problems as a siren are happening, Gemma and her sister, Harper, also have other problems they have to worry about, including their hospitalized mother and love. In the first book Gemma fell in love with Harper’s long-time friend and neighbor, Alex. He is a sensitive, caring, muscular guy that cares deeply about Gemma. Then, out of the greatness of her heart, to keep him safe, she put a spell on him. This spell was just supposed to make him stop loving her, but of course there was a twist that Gemma didn't realize. It made Alex become a totally different person and want to change the life he had already established. Now, realizing it was a terrible mistake she’s trying everything she can to turn this spell around because she’s still deeply in love with him.

The author of this book is an AMAZING writer! She makes everything sound so dramatic and emotional. She gives extra depth to things that, to a normal person, would seem so ordinary. Once you think they have figured something out, BAM, there’s another twist in it. Every time this happens you just can’t put the book down! You have to keep searching the pages for any clue to what’s going to happen next! Her description of everything is so spot-on and crazy realistic. Occasionally, there are some parts in the book that are more for older ages and rarely cuss words. That is why I think this book is probably more for teens to young adults.

With intense ways to describe the battles and emotional words to describe the love scenes, the book seems to come alive in your head and create colorful scenes in your mind. Tidal, is one the most amazing books I have ever read and I can’t wait to read the next book in the series, Elegy. Next time you have some free time pick up this book and see how enticing this novel really is. I promise you will love it! And remember, next time you go to the beach, keep your eyes open for those sirens!