Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart | Teen Ink

Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart

March 27, 2014
By pinckney BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
pinckney BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

I really, really enjoyed this book! Its the Mysterious Benedict Society and the Prisoner's Dilemma by Trenton Lee Stewart. I finished this book quickly because I couldn't put it down! It’s incredibly action filled and interesting. It’s bright and funny and can make you laugh out loud.

The themes are friendship, loyalty, and choosing to do the right thing even when it is hard. You follow Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance on a daring new adventure that threatens to force the main characters apart from their families, friends, and even each other. They are on their own to save the day and they all have to grow up a little and think about others. They learn to lean on each other but also be independent because they realize they may not always have each other to help them. I recommend this book to 12-20 year olds because the language is a little bit more difficult. It is also a longer book but its definitely worth reading. Its the third book in the series and I would not suggest you read it if you haven't read the other two because you wouldn’t understand how the characters interact with each other and how they act and speak.


The author makes you feel like you’re really in the story and you feel everything the characters feel. When Kate is jumping off a building or doing something else crazy, you can feel the three other characters hold there breath and hope she is ok.

The four main characters are so different that you have to be able to relate to at least one of them. Kate is adventurous and clever. Reynie is smart and sweet. Sticky is a great reader and a little jumpy. And Constance is witty and stubborn. You travel with these characters and you get to know them personally and see how they react in tough situations. I find myself gasping out loud at some parts and grinning to myself at others. This book can make you feel so happy and excited but also feel worried and sad.


The author does an amazing job to give you a clear picture of what is going on in the story. She pulls you in with the complex and witty language that they use with each other. The pacing is fast but you can still understand everything that is going on. If you are looking for a great book that's a challenge this is the perfect choice for you!