One-Eyed Cat by Paula Fox | Teen Ink

One-Eyed Cat by Paula Fox

One-Eyed Cat is a great book for young adults. The author of this book is Paula Fox. There was a good choice of words for this book if her targeted age group was young teenagers. She kept the writing very bland and conserved when she could have gotten more in depth with the description and made it interesting.

The author wrote through the perspective of young boy named Ned. The way that the author wrote showed that Ned didn’t have a lot of emotion. This is just what I assumed. The author used simple, bland words for every event that occurred. I didn’t really like how she did that. She could have gotten more emotional when something in the family happened, or if an unexpected event occurred. She kept it very straight forward and boring. Nobody in the family would get emotional around anyone except for the mom who was ill.

Ned is a 12 year-old boy who lives in a large house near the country He lives with his father who is a pastor, his mother who is ill, and their maid who lives there full time. One night, Ned did something that he shouldn’t have done and has felt guilty of it every since. Ned is finding it really hard to keep his secret from his family, especially his father. Ned knows that he shouldn’t keep a secret because it is a sin, but he doesn’t want to hurt his parents feeling. Ned is also worried about ruining the trust that his parents have for him. I don’t like how a young boy is living with guilt even though he doesn’t know if he did it or not.

The author didn’t really make the book interesting. I kept reading to see if there was going to be a plot twist, but there never was. I would have enjoyed the book if there was something that was unexpected, but there wasn’t. Even if she didn’t add a plot twist, it would have been more exciting if she got more descriptive with her writing. Over all, I didn't really like the book. It was very bland, boring, and unexciting. I wouldn't recommend this book to anybody, you will not enjoy it.