Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth

By TrixLovegood PLATINUM, Lisboa, Other
TrixLovegood PLATINUM, Lisboa, Other

“A room without books is like a body without a soul.”
― Cicero

During the break I read the first book of a trilogy, called Divergent. I know this may sound funny, but I believe some books enter in your life and change it forever. And I believe this book changed mine. I borrowed it from a friend that told me it was really good, so I read it. And the expression “really good” couldn’t be worst to describe the essence of this book. Divergent is mind-blowing, magnificent, out-standing and I could go on and on that I would not run out of words. This book touched me in ways not even The Hunger Games did. It’s a fantasy book out of this world. It is set in a society divided into five factions: Dauntless, the brave, Amity, the peaceful, Abnegation, the selfless, Erudite, the knowledgeable and Candor, the honest. And it’s all narrated by a sixteen year old called Tris. Tris has to make the decision of her life by choosing the faction she will live in forever, after discovering her test to establish her faction, gave “inconclusive”, which means divergent. So, she chooses Dauntless where bravery is looked up to more than anything else and it is in dauntless that she meets Four, one of the most fascinating fictional characters of all time. But, before she is considered a Dauntless she will have to go through the Initiation. It is not only a book of romance, it is not all about violence or war or fears or feelings. And that is what makes it what it is, it condenses everything and mixes up into this story where you just cannot help yourself from diving deeper and deeper in it. One of the factors that also made this book as astonishing as it is, was the relationship between the two main characters: Four and Tris. This relationship was not an obvious one, and I don’t mean it in the sense if it was expected or not, as from the start I knew they were going to get together at a certain point of the book. I mean that it was not a cliché relationship like there are a lot right now in books. Their relationship was pure, was true, it was even magical sometimes. And, something happened to me with this book, something that had already happened to me before but definitely not as deeply as it is happening now. I fell completely and utterly in love with a fictional character- Four. A warm love I will never be able to touch. Four is just the most amazing character there can be. And not because he is a kind or brave or fearless or perfect character. Because some of these features do not even apply to him, but because of the way he looks at life, wanting not only to be brave but also to be kind, and honest, and intelligent and selfless. The way he hides himself from others but, then with Tris, slowly he is able to connect and to just blow my mind completely. One of my favourite quotes of the book is when Four says to Tris “I might be in love with you. I’m waiting till I’m sure to tell you, though.” This quote touched me in the heart, the way he can be at the same time so insensitive and so romantic. Honestly, I do not understand this love I feel for someone who at the same time is so far away and so close to me. He touched me with his personality and a little bit of me falls apart and tears come to my eyes every time I think this is just fiction, this is not real. The other day, I saw this picture and it was so relatable it said: “Other girls are waiting for the right man or even for prince charming. I’m just hopelessly waiting for a fictional character to be real” and it just describes what I feel towards Four that, in a way describes what I feel towards the whole book. One word to describe Four would be surreal, I guess that is why he is the protagonist of a fantasy book… Well, as I always say, perfection only reaches the pages of the books, and this is a reality I have to live in. No matter how much I love to read, to dive into different worlds, different stories, and different societies. No matter how much I love Four, I have to know these are just pages of a book. A book that I think everyone should read because it really gives the readers a lesson about fears and courage. It’s a book that, every time I try to describe it or at least tell its story I always struggle to find the right words because I feel that words are not enough to describe how magical the book is. While I was reading it, I completely impersonated Tris, and my heart would pound faster whenever I was reading a scene with Four or my skin would get goose bumps whenever I was reading a scene of suspense. The book is written in a brilliant way that catches your attention right from the beginning. It captures you and kidnaps you into a world of fantasy where there are no boundaries. It makes you want to read more and more without stopping. And, a word to describe the whole book would be…. Powerful! Powerful enough, to turn fictional feelings for a character, into real ones. Powerful enough, to make me want to speak about it all day without stopping. Powerful, enough to make me want to be a stranger in this world to understand their world better.

Divergent, this book is just turned my life upside down.

MamilosTilda said...
on May. 24 2014 at 8:17 am
Tri Lovegood, if you think divergent is an amazing, sublime, unforgettable ... trilogy (which it is) you MUST, OUGHT TO, SHOULD read Legend by Marie Lu, you will have an affair with Day (one of the mains characters) while in a relationship with Tobias

Mamilos said...
on May. 24 2014 at 8:14 am
 Trix, if you think divergent is an sublime, unforgettable ...  trilogy (which it is) you OUGHT TO read Legend by Marie Lu, u'll have an affair with Day while in a relation with Tobias

on Mar. 23 2014 at 6:53 pm
TrixLovegood PLATINUM, Lisboa, Other

― Cicero

Thank you Claudia! Trust me, I will! xx

Claudiaaaaa said...
on Mar. 13 2014 at 7:30 pm
Esta mesmo bem feito, adorei ler e continua a escrever porque you are getting much better xx Beijnhos Claudiaa