Last Shot: A Final Four Mystery by John Feinstein | Teen Ink

Last Shot: A Final Four Mystery by John Feinstein

March 10, 2014
By Rogermendezh BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Rogermendezh BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In Last Shot: A Final Four Mystery, the adventure story of two 14-year old journalists, Stevie and Susan, is brought to life. As winners of the U.S. Basketball Writers Association (USBWA), they prepare for a relaxing, yet exciting trip; instead, they were left to investigate the blackmail of college basketball star, Chip Graber.

"What did we just here?" Susan asks Stevie as they overhear management telling Chip to choke in the championship game. This marked the start to their adventure, and it added to the overt theme of suspense. This story provides intense scenes; however, it also shares its humorous moments, finding a joyful balance.

Last Shot is very relatable to modern times, for many people enjoy sports, and also because blackmail is a real life problem. It allows a blackmail conflict to be speculated from all angles, and provides a behind-the-scenes look at how even professionals have to make choices. More specifically, it engages the reader to pay attention into how much thought actually goes into making these life changing decisions.

Overall, if you combine basketball, blackmail, and a teenage point of view, a great mystery is constructed. John Feinstein, known for his sports writing, creates a great read with his contemplative work in Last Shot. I would strongly recommend this novel to any fan of college sports, fierce mysteries, or just fun reads in general. Stevie and Susan have an extensive experience mingling with innocent people and dirty blackmailers, but you’ll need to read the story to figure out how it all ends!


The author's comments:
My English teacher strongly inspired me to write this piece. She stressed the importance of being published as an honors student. I hope people look to find this book and others like it fun to read.