<i>Not a Drop to Drink </i>by Mindy McGinnis | Teen Ink

Not a Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis MAG

By alioramus GOLD, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
alioramus GOLD, Chapel Hill, North Carolina

“That reminds me of a puzzle…”
- Professor Layton

Lynn knows that she has to protect her pond at all costs. Drought and little rain has brought the world to a state where everyone has to fight for resources, particularly water. Lynn's mother taught her that they have to live ruthlessly: people who come to Lynn's pond either leave thirsty or they don't leave at all. After an accident, Lynn's mother is killed and Lynn is left all alone. When smoke rises on the horizon and mysterious gunshots ring across the woods, Lynn faces a threat much greater to her pond than snowless winters and coyotes.

With just the right amount of drama, danger, and plot twists, this is an exciting story. I felt as though there was never a dull moment. The characters are great, especially Lynn. With some books, I either like or hate the main character. With Lynn, I felt she was the toughest heroine one moment, and the next I was ready to throw the book across the room because I was mad at what she decided to do. That rarely happens in a book, and it takes talent to make a reader have a love-hate relationship with the main character.

Not a Drop to Drink is a little slow in the beginning. But once I got past the first few chapters, the story picked up as more and more interesting characters were introduced. The ending is notably dramatic. So keep reading! You'll be glad you did.

Overall, Not a Drop to Drink is an awesome mix of humor, dystopia, and everything else that appeals to readers. If you love dystopian or adventure stories, you will definitely love this book. My rating is 5/5.